Spiced Oatmeal with dried apricot, raisins, and walnuts
When I was a kid, I absolutely HATED oatmeal. I think it was a texture thing, but I hated it nonetheless. Then, one morning I slept over at a friends house and her mom made us oatmeal, very similar to this recipe. I was raised in a Southern home where you eat what's served with a smile on your face no matter what your personal preference. I remember mentally pumping myself up for the first bite nervous that I wouldn't be able to hide my true reaction. However, much to my surprise, my taste buds had matured and for the first time in my life, I enjoyed a bowl of oatmeal! I've loved it ever since!
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Bake walnuts 8-10 minutes. You should be able to smell them when they are ready.
- While toasting, combine water, oats, apricots, syrup, cinnamon, and pinch of salt in an 8-cup microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and poke a hole in it to vent
- Microwave on high 5-7 minutes until most liquid is absorbed
- Sprinkle with nuts and serve!